new post Sunday letter blog
Family
Motto
Thee
lift me and I'll lift thee and we will ascend together.
“Be
happy. Let discouragement be a challenge, not a defeat; an
opportunity & a privilege.
Dear
Family,
This
has not been an average week. No sir-re-bob. Thanksgiving, two
visits to Grandpa at The Gables, errands down town, both Sacrament
meeting and Sunday School, & walks around the house. That's what
I call “personal progress.” They were not “solo” events, but
just the fact that I was there and going strong was a huge step
forward. Also I was able to get the Fall finishing touches on the
lawn done by our ever-smiling Sariah. Now there are no leaves to be
seen and it is mowed to perfection.
THANKSGIVING:
Karen, Ben, Peter and Tommy came clear from South Salt Lake to bring
Thanksgiving dinner – THE WHOLE THING – to me. (Chris was with
Josh and the children in Eagle Mountain.) I was spoiled rotten!
Karen had everything planned and mostly prepared except for the
turkey which she had all ready to go into the roasting oven, which
she even brought with her. Ben took over the assignment of their
children, their dog and their neighbor's dog which they were dog
sitting. My job, if you can call it that was to sit and watch. (see
pictures).
After
dinner and a nap Karen took me to see Wendell. That was fun visit.
My first with him at “The Gables.” We & I simply enjoyed
sitting on his bed while Karen sat in the big arm chair as we visited
and ate the Lemon Meringue Pie that we took to him for this
Thanksgiving celebration. We were both so excited to see each other.
It was only the second time we had been in the same room together
since I had been in the E.R. And the first time was a disaster when
we met at Idle Isle for lunch and Julie had to rescue the situation
by standing up, looking at her watch and saying, “Daddy, it's time
to go. Come on!” He stood up and smiled, “OK.” and they were
out of there. But no tricks were necessary this day. It was all
“sweet stuff.”
Back
home – Peggy, Bruce, Juanita, Emily & Mary joined us about the
time Karen and Ben were gathering their Thanksgiving cooking
equipment and some of the goodies that were left over to head for
home. My job then, yea I did get to be of some help, was to
entertain Peter and Tommy. The girls joined me in that fun. Then
when all things were loaded into their big car, including the dogs
and the boys, they were off with lots of hugs and “Hurry back!!!”
Now
it was time for the second Thanksgiving Dinner. Can you believe it?
I'm sure I gained some weight to help that goal I am working at.
Yes, again I was spoiled as Peggy laid out a lovely dinner on the
table for the 7 of us to enjoy. Then who should walk in? Chris. He
gallantly pulled up a stool at the bar to join the fun. And fun we
had! Their kind of laughter with and at each other, playing the
piano and singing together, even cleaning up the dishes. Too soon it
was time for Emily and Mary to leave to go to Jennie's and for the
rest of us to head for bed. Peggy, Bruce and Nita stayed over night
and we enjoyed a nice visit the next morning until it was time for
them to go to a birthday party for Bryce, Jennie's husband.
The
next visit with Wendell was Saturday when Julie came here and took me
to see him and celebrate our 66th wedding anniversary.
What a tender, sweet time we had as Wendell handed me a gift to open.
Was I surprised? Oh yes!!! Wendy and Julie had planned this.
There was a special anniversary card signed by Wendell and a little
red box for me to open. In it was a beautiful necklace with a clear
heart shaped pendant containing 6 little women wearing birth stones –
one for each of our daughters and one for me. Attached to the main
chain along with the heart are two more little pendants that say 'I
love you.” It is so precious! (see pictures). So then I gave him
my Anniversary Card that I made for him. He read every word of is as
he smiled with that smile that says, “I love this!” (see
pictures). It was a very tender time for both of us and Julie was so
cute about taking care to see that everything went off just right.
We
had nice talks with the workers. They love him and are very helpful.
They were glad to meet “Wendell's wife” and I was glad to meet
those I have been talking to on the phone. They were so sweet to let
us all walk out to the car together. When they asked Wendell if he
wanted to walk me out to the car he lit up like a Christmas tree.
Pictures
will tell the rest of the story. Love, Grandma
Karen setting up turkey cooker in our garage. Karen & her famous turkey.


Tommy likes to play with grandma's hand.
Peter likes the truck that carries cars and has a grabber on the front...............

Emily, Mary, Tommy, Karen, Nita.
Peter, Ben, Tommy & Peter & Karen wearing her Thanksgiving hat.

Wendell an Rosalie in his room at The Gables.
Julie, the sweetheart who took Rosalie to visit Wendell.

Necklace that Wendell gave to Rosalie for their anniversary. (Wendy took him shopping last week to buy it.)
Below - close-up - you can see the little the little girls in the big heart. Anniversary necklace stored in my very special case with the necklace he gave me two or three years ago.



These four pictures are the 4 pages of the anniversary card I made for Wendell.





Comments