Reminders & Updates
Family
Motto
Thee
lift me and I'll lift thee and we will ascend together.
“Be
happy. Let discouragement be a challenge, not a defeat; an
opportunity & a privilege.
March
14, 2018
Dear
Family,
OF
FIRST IMPORTANCE; Read
Julie's beautiful Reunion Update carefully. When you do endowments
you can then save the sealings for our Family Reunion sealing
session.
I
am smiling broadly every time I receive another family picture of
your family to go on my picture “clothes line” in the hall. You
can either send them in the mail or email them and I can print them.
WHAT'S
NEW HERE AT 519 Hawthorne DRIVE AND AT “GRANDPA'S HOME”.
First
I will report on Grandpa's latest falls. Last week he fell twice and
the week before once. The last fall required medical care. He has
a pretty big area on his right upper arm that bled a lot and required
special bandaging. The report finally came back from the first fall
that he does have at least two broken ribs. That can only be treated
by time, letting it heal on its own.
He
stayed pretty positive with the broken ribs, always saying, “I'm
just fine. No it doesn't hurt.” And smiled a lot. But with the
injury on his arm he really got frightened. In telling about it he
says, “I thought I would die.” That is not like him. He has
NEVER EVER said that before in all of our married life. His
expression is sad, he sits kind of slumped, and his walk is more of a
“shuffle” than it was before. But still he tries to be happy.
When we visit him he will play his harmonica for us and sing with us.
He loves to go to church. I went with him last Sunday and that was
a real treat for me as well as him.
This
was a most amazing experience for me. As I sat down by Wendell he
was asleep and when the worker said to him, “Wendell your wife is
here,” he opened his eyes slowly and peeked out through half open
eye lids and said, “There is my wife. Look, there is my wife.”
Speaking to those sitting by him and right in the middle of the
Sacrament Meeting preparations. Then he pulled my head close to his
and gave me a nice kiss. Everyone smiled in approval – the
residents, the Church visitors and the workers. (It gave me a sweet
feeling of acceptance.)
Then
the sister who leads the singing came to me and asked if I would be
willing to say the opening prayer, assuring me that they would bring
me the microphone. I said that I would. So already I knew this was
going to be a very special experience today.
When
the sacrament was passed I noted that the one sister resident sitting
just 3 seats from me was not able to take of the sacrament herself,
but simply opened her mouth and the priest carefully put it in her
mouth for her. That touched my heart deeply as I thought about how
both she and the Priest must have felt, and how The Lord felt. I
could feel a very special spirit there as the meeting went on to the
special solo before the talk from the Stake President. His words
were inspirational and uplifting and full of hope for any
congregation. By the time it was my turn to give the closing prayer
my heart and mind was so full of the spirit of the meeting that I
hardly know what I would say. I just asked Heavenly Father to help
me to say what He wanted me to say. I don't know what I did say, but
it must have been the right things, because at the end of the meeting
the sister who asked me to pray came to me and told me that she felt
the spirit so strongly when I prayed that she felt like she wanted to
be just like me. Now THAT IS REALLY HUMBLING!!! My tears had
already been dampening my tissue, but now they began again.
After
all the Sacrament things were put away and everyone had said their
“Good-byes” Wendell and I talked a bit. He was happy that he got
to wear his Sunday suit and tie on this day, wanting to know if I was
going to stay. He asked that many times as we walked to his room to
visit until lunch time. We had a delightful visit as I shared with
him what was happening at “My place” with Grace and Chris and
asked him to play his harmonica for me. He liked to do that. Soon
it was time to go into the dining area for lunch. I walked with him
there and got him seated at his table. Then a nice kiss and I was
off to my home with my heart filled with the feelings of closeness to
The Lord and my Heavenly Father.
Today
I was lucky enough to make arrangements with Jannie at The Gables to
come and get the walker I ordered for Wendell, put it together and
get it to his room. I happened to call him when the therapist came
and he assured me that he would teach him how to use it. Yea!!! So
things are looking up :).

My
birthday celebration went on for three days. Julie and Monte came
first on Friday night the 9th
and we went to The Gables to take Wendell out to lunch for my
birthday. He was a bit confused at what we were doing, but he went
along with everything. He was simply glad to get away for a while.
After lunch we took him back to The Gables for a nap and then picked
him up to go see the movie “The Greatest Showman.” He enjoyed
that quite a bit. I liked it a lot and Julie and Monte loved so much
they want to see it again.
Julie
and Monte went with me on Saturday to see Wendell before they had to
leave for home – Monte had responsibilities for stake conference.
This is when we found out that he had fallen. The worker at The
Gables had put a pretty good bandage on his arm, but the Dr. was
going to come and check it out. I stayed with Wendell to get him
settled in bed for a nap. After he was asleep I went home with the
promise that they would let me know when the nurse came to change the
bandage.
They
did and I went right away. It turned out to be a male nurse named
Josh. He checked the wound and said that she had done a good job of
cleaning it and dressing it. He left most of the original bandage on
it, added a little more protection and taped it up again. I asked if
he also cut toe nail's. He does and he did it for Wendell right
then. (smile.)

So
that's the news, now for the pictures. Peggy came on Monday and did so many things to help me with getting my pills sorted, arranging my Budget forms, sorting through Wendell's computer desk, taking things to the D.I. Going to see Wendell. She was quite the tonic for him. She got him singing and we got him playing his harmonica.
I even got a snuggle with him. This is the gift that Wendy and Jerusha sent me for my birthday - gorgeous roses, and a Teddy Bear & me holding the Teddy Bear with the roses.
I had so many cards, phone calls, helium balloons that floated in the air that two of my young friends brought. The picture is after they sat down on the chair.
Love, Gr. & Gr.


Comments
Post a Comment