Be Happy, Give Love
*Be Happy, Let discouragement be a challenge not a defeat.
Thee lift me and I'll lift thee and we will ascend together.
Dear Family,
The pictures I am sending were taken Sunday when I went to church with Wendell. Archy came into our room as Wendell was getting into the wheelchair to go to church. He is one of the Residents who loves to help, but couldn't find his room. When he learned it was time for church he wanted to wheel Wendell to the meeting. So he did. After that he disappeared until dinner time when he came to sit with us at the dinner table, still confused, but wanting to help everyone.
Wendell was excited to get all dressed up nice to go to church. He was all ready when I got there except for his tie and tie tack. I found those and put them on for him and even got kisses for my efforts.
This is his Family Tree that I spoke of last week. Since then we have added several more "LEAVES" that I showed you on Marco Polo. It is really looking like a full tree now. I will get a picture to send later.
Three days ago I experienced an ethereal feeling that passed through my whole body and lasted for many hours. The understandings that came to me made me realize that I have discovered that what seems like real life right now is more like an iridescent fantasy life that has become mine since Wendell has been living at The Gables.
My life before that is what feels real to me. All those things that Wendell & I used to do together: going to the temple, family reunions, driving to visit family, working to make our home and yard beautiful, going to church, having real conversations and on & on.....! Yes, that is what is REAL to me.
Yet this new life demands that I face reality and live with renewed and growing faith; find fulfillment in new ways; realize the blessings I do have; continue to serve in the ways I can, be thankful for all the positive things in my life and for the challenges that help me grow spiritually and emotionally to be determined to NEVER GIVE UP - for I know Heavenly Father, my Savior, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are with me always.
I now recognize the goodness that is in the unfamiliar shell of the person still known as Wendell N. Christensen, but does not resemble the person he was before Alzheimer's entered his life. Because his goodness still shines out in many ways: his genuine smile, how he prays, how he treats other people, his sense of humor, his honesty, being thankful for help from everyone who gives him any kind of service, his sense of humor. Actually he hasn't changed much. That is why I find fulfillment in massaging his shoulder with Dr Christopher's special herbal cure, taking treats to him, listening to him play his harmonica, going to church with him and listen to his deep base voice as we sing the hymns, as we pray together in our little "Family Home Evenings," as I care for his physical needs, sit on his lap, feel his arms around me, play "Shut the Box" and the games Wendy brought for him, cut his hair, converse in his "Merry-Go-Round" kind of conversation that always comes back to the same spot time after time, but always ending with a big kiss and "I love you."
Yes, Heavenly Father is right - "Love is the Key." He and Jehovah started it for our planet earth and now we have the opportunity to learn how to love as they do. Enough said... except for: Thee lift me and I'll lift thee and we will ascend together."
Tons of love, Gr. & Gr. Christensen.
Thee lift me and I'll lift thee and we will ascend together.
Dear Family,
The pictures I am sending were taken Sunday when I went to church with Wendell. Archy came into our room as Wendell was getting into the wheelchair to go to church. He is one of the Residents who loves to help, but couldn't find his room. When he learned it was time for church he wanted to wheel Wendell to the meeting. So he did. After that he disappeared until dinner time when he came to sit with us at the dinner table, still confused, but wanting to help everyone.
Wendell was excited to get all dressed up nice to go to church. He was all ready when I got there except for his tie and tie tack. I found those and put them on for him and even got kisses for my efforts.
This is his Family Tree that I spoke of last week. Since then we have added several more "LEAVES" that I showed you on Marco Polo. It is really looking like a full tree now. I will get a picture to send later.Three days ago I experienced an ethereal feeling that passed through my whole body and lasted for many hours. The understandings that came to me made me realize that I have discovered that what seems like real life right now is more like an iridescent fantasy life that has become mine since Wendell has been living at The Gables.
My life before that is what feels real to me. All those things that Wendell & I used to do together: going to the temple, family reunions, driving to visit family, working to make our home and yard beautiful, going to church, having real conversations and on & on.....! Yes, that is what is REAL to me.
Yet this new life demands that I face reality and live with renewed and growing faith; find fulfillment in new ways; realize the blessings I do have; continue to serve in the ways I can, be thankful for all the positive things in my life and for the challenges that help me grow spiritually and emotionally to be determined to NEVER GIVE UP - for I know Heavenly Father, my Savior, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are with me always.
I now recognize the goodness that is in the unfamiliar shell of the person still known as Wendell N. Christensen, but does not resemble the person he was before Alzheimer's entered his life. Because his goodness still shines out in many ways: his genuine smile, how he prays, how he treats other people, his sense of humor, his honesty, being thankful for help from everyone who gives him any kind of service, his sense of humor. Actually he hasn't changed much. That is why I find fulfillment in massaging his shoulder with Dr Christopher's special herbal cure, taking treats to him, listening to him play his harmonica, going to church with him and listen to his deep base voice as we sing the hymns, as we pray together in our little "Family Home Evenings," as I care for his physical needs, sit on his lap, feel his arms around me, play "Shut the Box" and the games Wendy brought for him, cut his hair, converse in his "Merry-Go-Round" kind of conversation that always comes back to the same spot time after time, but always ending with a big kiss and "I love you."
Yes, Heavenly Father is right - "Love is the Key." He and Jehovah started it for our planet earth and now we have the opportunity to learn how to love as they do. Enough said... except for: Thee lift me and I'll lift thee and we will ascend together."
Tons of love, Gr. & Gr. Christensen.
Comments
Post a Comment