OUR MUSEUM OF MEMORIES
![]() |
| Wendell today - happy as a lark before going to conference. He did enjoy (slept a bit) the meeting and sang along with the choir. |
OUR MUSEUM OF MEMORIES
This Sunday April 7th 2019
my heart and mind are still filled with the spirit of conference. I
just turned off the last session. This was another conference to
remember forever!!! Yesterday Wendell & I watched both sessions
together at The Gables and he was so tired that he fell totally
asleep as soon as I got him into his bed. He didn't even wake up
when I took his hearing aids out and kissed him “goodbye.”
Today after the first session of
conference and lunch we went to his room and as soon and I tucked
him into bed, hoping to leave him not so tired as he was yesterday.
However he wanted to talk but his gibberish wasn't making any sense
as we tried to communicate. I told him not to worry I'd be back
tomorrow. That satisfied him and he closed his eyes. I gave him a
kiss (he did kiss me back – yea!) and he was sound asleep. And I
was on my way home for a nap and then watch the afternoon session of
Conference.
What wonderful messages we received
that will help us become who we really want to become if we study
each message carefully – even after we study the notes we took.
Pres. Nelson did it again – reserved his comments and announcements
until the last session That is a pretty clever way to keep everyone
watching. (smile)
Will you join me in these memories of
mine and add some of your own memories of being in our home?
I am sitting in one of the rooms of our
MUSEUM OF MEMORIES where I just turned off Conference on the TV. Oh
how I remember the hundreds of time Wendell and I watched conference
right here. Those were precious times and we could even sing with
the choir together (smile).
This room is now called “My Study.”
It is a museum of pictures of individual family members, trophies,
journals, genealogy stuff and keepsakes. They remind me of when I
could walk all over the mountain, run for 12 miles, swim 20 lengths,
ride my bike for miles, play tennis, go to games with Wendell, and
when we both sang with the Symphonic Choir.
The room to the north is still called
Wendell's Study. It has his roll-top desk, his computer desk, his
military awards and military pictures and his shelves of books,
genealogy and keepsakes. My memories are filled with his many
accomplishments as a good Husband, Father, pilot, working at Thiokol,
being in the Symphonic Choir, church callings and his birthday being
right at Christmas time, His sweet goodness and help to me. The
marimba that is in that room right now is the treasure he gave me one
Christmas.
The room to the west is now called “my
room.” It is my bedroom and has been transformed with a twin bed
replacing our huge one. A picture of the two of us as we were
preparing to go on our mission to Spain, rearranging the bed tables
and putting the pictures of us on our 50th Wedding
anniversary on one of them and my Shamrock plant on the other. The
rest are the real museum items: A picture my brother, Al, painted, a
mirror that Debby decorated with the temple on it and lace around it,
a mirror that belonged to Wendell's mom, a picture and plaque that
Wendy gave me, the Cedar Chest my father made for me, the dresser
that was in my room when I was a teenager, pictures of Mt. Timpanogos
that my father took and printed will be up soon.
The hall is memories of Families,
marriages and missions. Those memories go on forever and keep
getting added to.
The kitchen reminds me of Thanksgiving
preparations and family coming to fill up both the living room and
the kitchen. The delicious smell of turkey etc. cooking. Elaborate
table settings. The family visiting, telling stories on one another
and playing games. Also...the daily ongoing preparations of meals
and visiting with many different family members as they came “any
day” and we sat at the bar to visit or I prepared a meal as they
sat at the bar. Many serious talks were had that way.
The living room is full of very fond
Christmas memories. Having breakfast before going in to the tree,
lining up to go in, the squeals of delight, Christmas programs doing
the dramatization of the birth of Christ. The Christmas Scenes we
collected. Wendell's birthday celebrations that were not out of
doors on a sled. Home teachers coming diligently. Priesthood
Blessings. My Visiting Teachers coming regularly. The Family Group
picture Julie made for us and the picture of my favorite quote.
The very first Professional Family Group Picture we had taken.
Visits from our family and friends.
The Garage – Halloween, where we had
the witch who made the magic potion and told scary stories after they
had entered the “magic” east garage door. Then asked them how
they were going to get out of her haunted house. When they didn't
know she told them if they would say the magic words the south door
would open. They were immediately anxious to know the words. She
would then say the words for them to repeat one at a time. When the
last word was said the door went up as promised. Amazed they fled...
glad to be gone, but looking forward to next Halloween. I kept my
secret of how the door went up for a long time. But of course you
know how that happened, don't you? If you don't let me know and I
will tell you.
Some memories are happy and some sad,
some of hard challenges that brought important decisions that changed
our life. All things put together form a museum of modern pioneer
trails seeking to follow the Lord's way to eternal life with Him and
our Posterity. Even Grandpa has those memories TUCKED AWAY SOMEWHERE
and they will return at that great day.
You can ask each other what your
memories are of our “museum.” It would be fun for me to hear
from you what they are!!!
Love to everyone from Grandpa and
Grandma Christensen.

Comments
Post a Comment