PARAPROSDOKIANS

PARAPROSDOKIANS - July 19, 2019

Dear Family,  Today we are sending you some of the above to tickle your funny bone.

PARAPROSDOKIANS = FIGURES OF SPEECH WHICH THE LATTER PART OF A SENTENCE OR PHRASE IS SURPRISING OR UNEXPECTED.

1. Since light travels faster than sound,
     some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. The last thing I want do is hurt you,
     but it's still on my list.

3. Where there's a will,
     I want to be in it.

4. If I agreed with you,
    we'd both be wrong. 

5. A  clear conscience,
    is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

6. I used to be indecisive.
    Now I'm not sure.

7. You're never too old,
     to learn something stupid.

8. I'm supposed to respect my elders,
    But now it's getting harder and harder for me to find one.

9. Opportunity - you'll always miss 100%,
    of the shots you don't take.

10. Just the other day we were discussing how we all have been given opposing choices,
      so that it is possible for us to learn good from evil.  They asked what the opposite of joy was.      The answer came back "sadness."  "And the opposite of depression?"  The answer was "elation."
And how about the opposite of woe?
     Some smarty yelled out,"That would be giddy-up."

11. Now I want you to know that these were given to us at,
      a Temple Group party when we were working in the Ogden Temple.

So much for paraprosdokians.  Here comes the straight scoop:  My visits with Grandpa are always wondering what I will find when I get there.  Will he be up?  In his room or in the sitting area?  Recognize who I am?  Awake or asleep?  Dressed?  In his bed with one or both legs hanging over the side of the bed?  Will he recognize me?   So it is always an adventure.  The one thing that is always the same is that I get to feed him his lunch or dinner, whichever hour I am there.  That is when he wakes up as soon as I mention "food" and put the spoon or fork with a bite of food on it to his lips.  As soon as he feels it his mouth opens wide.  He loves to eat.  And he is tidy about it.  He doesn't allow it to spill out of his mouth if he can help it, so my clean-ups are few.  This is the time we do converse because he is awake.  So this is my favorite time with him.

After he eats he is right back to sleep most of the time.  So I read to him from the Scriptures or Conference talks, or family history story & picture books.  Kind of a one way communication, however sometimes he will make a non-verbal comment by opening his eyes a crack and making a soft sound.  He also will raise his hand and point to something in the room, usually moving it around signifying that whatever it is moves around.  I ask him questions about what he is pointing at and sometimes I have guessed right - like "is it an airplane?"  So life goes on and it is good.  I love my time with my eternal companion.

Oh my, I just looked at the clock and it is past time for me to move on to the duties of this day.
Much love, Grandma  (and Grandpa too)   
See how happy he is when he has finished all his dinner!
 




   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN CHRISTMAS BROUGHT MY BELOVED MARIMBAPHONE TO ME.

Sunday letter blog

BLESSED WITH HAPPY ENDINGS