REVELATION UNDER THE TREE
REVELATION UNDER THE TREE - Tuesday February 18, 2020
There I was, sitting under the only tree I could see in the area I had been assigned by our stake Mutual leader in our early morning breakfast meeting. You see, it was that time of the Summer that we had the opportunity to go to M.I.A. (Mutual Improvement Association) for the time of our lives. We were all excited about all the fun we would have and we already had done some really neat games and training in how to administer help to someone who had been hurt. Now this morning we were going to learn how to really communicate with Heavenly Father. Sooo...
The first thing was listening carefully for the instructions: "Go to a place anywhere in our camp area and pick out a spot where you can't see anyone and no one can see you. Be sure to take your blanket, a pillow, a note book, pencil and your scriptures with you. When you have found the spot spread your blanket out, put your scriptures, and the rest of the things you brought with you on the blanket where you can reach them easily. Then start talking to your Heavenly Father. Tell Him anything you want to talk to him about. You might even ask Him for help to know what to ask. But remember to put your faith and trust in Him as you remember He knows you well and will help you to "discover yourself."
I really wanted this to work because I wanted to do those things that would help me to progress towards living with Heavenly Father forever. So I sat quietly praying whatever came into my mind until I heard myself saying, "Heavenly Father, I don't know what to ask Thee? Please help me!" Then the words came clear as a bell, "You need to go back to school." WHAT? I thought I had finished all the schooling I needed, and besides that I was teaching an adult cooking class for the High School again this fall. Adding, "I will go back to school right after this class in finished." I told Heavenly Father and then listened for His answer. None came. So I decided he was OK with that decision.
Registration day came and I was there to greet the ladies as they came. However, after waiting until the registration time was over.... and no one had shown up.... I looked heavenward and humbly said, "OK Dear Heavenly Father, I get the message! I will go register today for the college classes that I need to get my degree in counseling and guidance." And I did.
Then, as I progressed through the next two years, I could see why Heavenly Father gave me this special revelation and was so grateful to him and glad that I listened and obeyed. You see, I learned much more than what the subjects taught. I learned to let others come into my life to help me learn more efficiently by joining a study group. We met each week to go over the assignments and talk about them. That brought more and new information into my mind that I didn't think of on my own. It helped me to communicate better, to trust in others ideas and feelings. One really big thing that I learned was to take really big disappointment without "blowing up" about it.
It was in my class that was the most fun. I enjoyed what I was doing more than words can tell in this pottery making class. I made some lovely and some interesting things and was ready and excited for the final day of judging. I got to school ready for the exams and to my surprise and almost horror I found that my pottery class and one of my "core" classes' testing hour was the same. I had to make a quick decision which class to go to for the exam. I chose the core class because it was part of my "Major." And as soon as I finished I hurried to my pottery class, hoping I would still be in time to take the test. But no amount of reasoning would change his mind. I was late and so not eligible to display my work.
I was heart broken! But I was glad that I didn't get angry at him. That isn't the way to end what had been such fun and I had learned so much. So I gathered my treasures and thanked him for the things he had taught me and headed for my car. The tears then started as they demanded to be released, and they were. And that was OK too. I had learned that in one of my psychology classes. And that is not the only time that lesson was good for me. But that is for next week's story.
There I was, sitting under the only tree I could see in the area I had been assigned by our stake Mutual leader in our early morning breakfast meeting. You see, it was that time of the Summer that we had the opportunity to go to M.I.A. (Mutual Improvement Association) for the time of our lives. We were all excited about all the fun we would have and we already had done some really neat games and training in how to administer help to someone who had been hurt. Now this morning we were going to learn how to really communicate with Heavenly Father. Sooo...
The first thing was listening carefully for the instructions: "Go to a place anywhere in our camp area and pick out a spot where you can't see anyone and no one can see you. Be sure to take your blanket, a pillow, a note book, pencil and your scriptures with you. When you have found the spot spread your blanket out, put your scriptures, and the rest of the things you brought with you on the blanket where you can reach them easily. Then start talking to your Heavenly Father. Tell Him anything you want to talk to him about. You might even ask Him for help to know what to ask. But remember to put your faith and trust in Him as you remember He knows you well and will help you to "discover yourself."
I really wanted this to work because I wanted to do those things that would help me to progress towards living with Heavenly Father forever. So I sat quietly praying whatever came into my mind until I heard myself saying, "Heavenly Father, I don't know what to ask Thee? Please help me!" Then the words came clear as a bell, "You need to go back to school." WHAT? I thought I had finished all the schooling I needed, and besides that I was teaching an adult cooking class for the High School again this fall. Adding, "I will go back to school right after this class in finished." I told Heavenly Father and then listened for His answer. None came. So I decided he was OK with that decision.
Registration day came and I was there to greet the ladies as they came. However, after waiting until the registration time was over.... and no one had shown up.... I looked heavenward and humbly said, "OK Dear Heavenly Father, I get the message! I will go register today for the college classes that I need to get my degree in counseling and guidance." And I did.
Then, as I progressed through the next two years, I could see why Heavenly Father gave me this special revelation and was so grateful to him and glad that I listened and obeyed. You see, I learned much more than what the subjects taught. I learned to let others come into my life to help me learn more efficiently by joining a study group. We met each week to go over the assignments and talk about them. That brought more and new information into my mind that I didn't think of on my own. It helped me to communicate better, to trust in others ideas and feelings. One really big thing that I learned was to take really big disappointment without "blowing up" about it.
It was in my class that was the most fun. I enjoyed what I was doing more than words can tell in this pottery making class. I made some lovely and some interesting things and was ready and excited for the final day of judging. I got to school ready for the exams and to my surprise and almost horror I found that my pottery class and one of my "core" classes' testing hour was the same. I had to make a quick decision which class to go to for the exam. I chose the core class because it was part of my "Major." And as soon as I finished I hurried to my pottery class, hoping I would still be in time to take the test. But no amount of reasoning would change his mind. I was late and so not eligible to display my work.
I was heart broken! But I was glad that I didn't get angry at him. That isn't the way to end what had been such fun and I had learned so much. So I gathered my treasures and thanked him for the things he had taught me and headed for my car. The tears then started as they demanded to be released, and they were. And that was OK too. I had learned that in one of my psychology classes. And that is not the only time that lesson was good for me. But that is for next week's story.



Comments
Post a Comment