WE BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUSE

It all started when my Uncle Delbert called my parents on the phone to ask if he could bring his Merimbaphone to our house for a few months since he was painting some of the rooms in his house and he didn't want it to get all dusty.  Vida Swenson, my mom, turned to her husband, Alfred and asked him what he thought.  He quickly agreed to the  plan and within a couple of hours his marimbaphone was standing in our living room. 

I watched my Dad play it several times and decided to ask him if I could play it too.  He was as excited as I was that I was asking to play this instrument.  So for several weeks he taught me some simple tunes.  Then one day he said, I think you are ready to play for parties, would you like that?  "Oh Yes!" Came my reply.  And that is what I did until my Uncle Delbert called to say he was ready to come and get his marimbaphone back.

It was only a few minutes before he was there to pick it up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After we moved to Brigham City and I had been missing my marimba for many years.  I said to Wendell, "I sure do miss my marimba!"

The next Christmas came and we were all excited to go in to the living room to open presents.  Our tradition was to eat breakfast first and then stand in line - oldest to youngest- to march into "The Tree."  When my turn came I stood still, as I couldn't believe my eyes.  There it was--A BEAUTIFUL  NEW MARIMBAPHONE.  What a surprise!!!  Slowly I moved toward it and picked up the mallets...I wondered if I could still play it.  Then as I gradually found the courage, I began to play the first tune Daddy had taught me - I don't remember the name of it, but I can still play it.

In fact when we went to Mazatlan one year the band invited me to play with them, someone had told them that I could play. I started out well but then couldn't remember all of it. So they carried on and I laughed with them.; Kind of embarrassing, but worth the opportunity to play with a  Real Band.

Here  is a photo of my Marimba ready to respond to my mallets touches.  It sounds so beautiful!!!


Time went on and Wendell and I got older. I was asked to play for several church programs and when people would come and see my marimbaphone they wondered if I would play for them. But ......Wendell was getting older and had served in the Air Force Reserve for 30 years, Had completed many callings in the Church plus taking care of his growing family and all of that brought about health failure that I was able to take care of at home for several years.  But it became clear that I needed help. I talked to several people who gave me ideas and ended up taking him to THE GABLES.

He was really happy there and the nurses loved him because he was so polite to them.  Then came the time when he was loosing his memory all together and I chose to be with him most of the time.  One morning I got there at 8:00 A.M. and found that he had fallen out of bed and the mortuary man had just moved him to his vehicle.  He asked me if I wanted to see him.  With tears streaming from my eyes, I answered, "No thank you, I want to remember him alive and well."  And that is how I remember him every day of my life.  In fact, in my dreams we have dates that take us flying happily together.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I am very old, in fact 90 years have already passed by me.  And I have started to play My Merimbaphone again.  It is mostly just for me, but every time I play it I feel my Sweetheart with me and we cheer when I get the notes right.  We also pray together as we did at home so long ago.  And I remember the Christmas that Wendell was my Santa Clause.




Rosalie playing The Merimbaphone.  Her favorite Hymn is "I NEED THEE EVERY HOUR."  She always feels happier & more full of faith and happiness afterwards.

    

Wendell & Rosalie at their 50th Wedding Anniversary Party.  They loved to dance with each other.

This is Rosalie's favorite family group picture.  Wendell was living at The Gables by this time.  All the staff that worked there loved him and gave him special attention.

Those in the picture are: (left to right) Debby, Julie, Wendy - back row.  Front row - left to right- Peggy, Roslie, & Cindy.

Merry Christmas to everyone.  Tons of love, Grandma Rosalie, Peggy and Bruce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN CHRISTMAS BROUGHT MY BELOVED MARIMBAPHONE TO ME.

Sunday letter blog

BLESSED WITH HAPPY ENDINGS